“The weak shall go to the wall” is a tragic misconception.
[A view or opinion that is incorrect because it is based on faulty thinking or understanding]
We have all probably heard the phrase; the weak shall go to the wall. It is often said with a resigned, sad intonation.
The implication in the phrase is that, sadly, weak people will go to the wall or perish and that is the way of the universe and not much can be done about it. Inevitably the strong survive and the weak will perish.
I suppose I interpreted the phrase much the same way, until one day I visited Dode Church in Kent .
The church at Dode was built during the reign of William II of England at some point between 1087 and 1100.
Dode church was not used for worship since the village of Dode was abandoned after the Black Death. Any way I digress. When the church was used, there were no pews for the parishioners to park their butts, and so they were obliged to stand for the whole length of the service.
Now; in the wall opposite the door were several seats let into the wall. They were just hollow places in
the wall which provided a rudimentary seat. A little plaque above these seats stated that
“The seats in the wall were provide
for the elderly and infirm which gave rise to the phrase, the weak shall go to the wall”
This really was mind blowing for me. [I am easily impressed].The original phrase, with its original meaning from Dode, is the complete opposite to the general held view of ‘the weak shall go to the wall’. It isn’t inevitable that the weak shall perish but the complete opposite, the weak will be cared for and seats and
Support provided for them. The mindset that it is inevitable that the weak will perish is based on a fallacy.
No comments:
Post a Comment